HVAC Logo - Part of the Marches Energy Website 
What is a HIP?

Marches Energy provide EPC and HIP Packs for Herefordshire, Gloucestershire and Worcestershire

As from April 2009 a Basic HIP must be in place before a property can be marketed.  This basic HIP is in fact the ordering of the full HIP but doesnt depend on the Water & Drainage  and Local Authority Searches having been received before marketing.

The HIP brings together key information needed by buyers and sellers at the very start of the home-buying process, and must contain at least the following documents;

  • An Index of contents

The Index lists the documents contained in the Pack and provides a checklist for sellers, buyers, estate agents and solicitors. Where a document that must be included in the Pack is unavailable, the Index must say so, give the reason it is missing, and indicate what steps are being taken to obtain it. Where documents are added to or removed from the Pack at a later stage, the Index should be revised accordingly.

  • An Energy Performance Certificate (please see "what is an EPC" from the EPCs menu button above)

The Energy Performance Certificate tells you how energy efficient a home is on a scale of A-G. The most efficient homes - which should have the lowest fuel bills - are in band A. The Certificate also tells you, on a scale of A-G, about the impact the home has on the environment. Better-rated homes should have less impact through carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions. The average property in the UK is in bands D-E for both ratings. The Certificate includes recommendations on ways to improve the home's energy efficiency to save you money and help the environment.

  • A Sale Statement

The Sale Statement provides some basic information about the property, including:

    • The address of the property being sold.
    • Whether the property is freehold, leasehold or commonhold.
    • Whether the property is registered with Land Registry or not.
    • Whether or not the property is being sold with vacant possession.


  • A Property Information Questionnaire (PIQ)

The PIQ provides buyers with basic, useful information about the property that will help to inform their decision to view or make an offer on the property.

  • Evidence of title

These documents prove that the seller owns the property and therefore has the right to sell it.

Where the property being sold is registered, the Land Registry title documents must be included in the Pack. These provide an up-to-date official record of who owns the land, and consist of:

    • Official copies of the individual register (made up of a property register, proprietorship register and, typically, a charges register).
    • An official copy of the title plan.

In the case of the sale of a commonhold interest, official copies of the register and title plan should be produced for both the unit and common parts.

For sales of unregistered land, the Pack must include copies of a certificate of an official search of the Land Registry index map, and those documents that the seller intends to rely on to provide evidence of title to the property, and thus the right to sell it.

  • Searches

The Home Information Pack must include:

    • A copy of the local land charges register relating to the property being sold.
    • Other records held by the local authority on matters of interest to buyers, such as planning decisions and road building proposals. These are referred to as local enquiries in the Home Information Pack regulations.
    • The provision of drainage and water services to the property. The local water company or a Personal search company can provide this.
  • Leasehold documents where appropriate

Of the required leasehold documents only a copy of the Lease is compulsory, however, sellers should include other leasehold documents whenever available and the following are authorised for inclusion in the Home Information Packs.

    • Any regulations or rules that apply to the property that aren't mentioned in the lease and any proposed amendments to same.
    • Statements or summaries of service charges covering the previous 36 months.
    • Where appropriate, the most recent requests for payment of service charges, ground rent, insurance against damage for the building in which the property is situated, and insurance in respect of personal injury caused by or within the building during the 12-month period before marketing began
    • The name and address of the current or proposed lessor, and details of any managing agent that has been appointed or proposed by the lessor to manage the property.
    • A summary of any works being undertaken or proposed that will affect the property or the building in which it's situated.
  • Commonhold documents where appropriate

The required commonhold documents are:

    • An official copy of the individual register and title plan for the common parts. This is in addition to official copies for the unit part.
    • An official copy of the commonhold community statement from the Land Registry.

Where they are reasonably obtainable, or sellers can reasonably be expected to be aware of them, the following documents and information are also required:

    • Copies of any regulations or rules not described in the commonhold community statement and any amendments proposed to those regulations or to the commonhold community statement.
    • Copies of any requests for payments made in the previous 12 months in respect of commonhold assessment, reserve fund levy and insurance (if not covered by a request for commonhold assessment).
    • The name and address of any managing agent or other person appointed or proposed to be appointed by the commonhold association to manage the commonhold
    • A summary of current or proposed works affecting the commonhold.